Click Here for more Delmark Releases!
For Jumpers Only!
Delmark DX 909 – Delmark 50th Anniversary Collection
Compact Disc (2003)
This one is designed for Swing Dancers but will appeal to jazz and blues fans alike; with Cab Calloway, Illinois Jacquet, Arnett Cobb, Willis Jackson, Panama Francis, Fred Jackson, Tab Smith, Sir Charles Thompson, Paul Bascomb, Cat Anderson, Erline Harris, Morris Lane.
A party album for swing dancers, jazz fans and rhythm and blues lovers
The past half-century of jazz and blues, from the Chicago perspective of Delmark Records, is more fun, stranger, grittier and more intimate than the music typically purveyed by major companies, and less pretentious, mannered, abstract and impressionist than the bulk of the sounds promoted by other small, independent imprints. The Delmark guarantee of genuine jazz and blues, played without compromise, is the result of Delmark principle Bob Koester's way of doing things. And after 50 years, we've still got it!
1 Panama Francis– Benson's Bounce 2:30
2 Illinois Jacquet– Bottoms Up 2:55
3 Willis Jackson– On My Own 2:52
4 Fred Jackson– Duck Fever 2:24
5 Erline Harris– Jump & Shout 2:17
6 Cat Anderson– For Jumpers Only 2:10
7 Morris Lane– B.O. Plenty's Return 2:53
8 Tab Smith– Top ’n' Bottom 2:47
9 Paul Bascomb– Pink Cadillac 3:13
10 Arnett Cobb– Top Flight 2:52
11 Sir Charles Thompson– Benson Alley 3:07
12 Cab Calloway– Shotgun Boogie
1. PANAMA FRANCIS Benson’s Bounce 2:30 (Barefield/Francis, Bess Music Co., BMI) From the album Honkers & Bar Walkers, Volume Two (Delmark 452)
PANAMA FRANCIS: drums BOBBY WILLIAMS, SHAD COLLINS: trumpet HILTON JEFFERSON: alto sax COUNT HASTINGS: tenor sax GEORGE JAMES: baritone sax DAVE RIVERA: piano MILT HINTON: bass January 25, 1952
2. ILLINOIS JACQUET Bottoms Up 2:55 (Illinois Jacquet, Gilbert Music Publ., BMI) From the album Jumpin’ At Apollo (Delmark 538)
ILLINOIS JACQUET: tenor sax RUSSELL JACQUET: trumpet JOHN BROWN: alto sax ARTHUR DENNIS: baritone sax BILL DOGGETT: piano ULYSSES LIVINGSTON: guitar CHARLES MINGUS: bass AL WICHARD: drums August, 1945
3. WILLIS JACKSON On My Own 2:52 From the album Call Of The Gators (Delmark 460)
WILLIS JACKSON: tenor sax ANDREW "FATS" FORD: trumpet MICHAEL "BOOTY" WOOD: trombone BEN KYNARD: baritone sax BILL DOGGETT: piano LEONARD SWAIN: bass PANAMA FRANCIS: drums January 16, 1950
4. FRED JACKSON Duck Fever 2:24 From the album Honkers & Bar Walkers, Volume One (Delmark 438)
FRED JACKSON: tenor sax remainder unknown late ’50s
5. ERLINE HARRIS Jump & Shout 2:17 (Harris/Lieb) From the album Jump 'n' Shout, New Orleans Blues & Rhythm (Delmark 715)
ERLINE HARRIS: vocal PLAS JOHNSON: tenor sax remainder unknown 1950
6. CAT ANDERSON For Jumpers Only 2:10 (Jenkins) From the album Earl Hines & The Duke’s Men (Delmark 470)
CAT ANDERSON, LEE BROWN, DON DEVILLA, ARCHIE JOHNSON, JOE STRAUD: trumpet JOE BRITTON, FLOYD BRADY, LEROY HARDISON, GEORGE STEVENSON: trombone CURBY ALEXANDER, VINCE ROYAL: alto sax JOHN HARTZFIELD, VINCENT MCCLEARY: tenor sax HOWARD AUSTIN: baritone sax HORATIO DURAN: piano BOB PAIGE: bass BOBBY DONALDSON: drums May 14, 1947
7. MORRIS LANE B.O. Plenty's Return 2:53 (Morris Lane, ArleneMusic Inc., BMI) From the album Honkers & Bar Walkers, Volume Two (Delmark 452)
MORRIS LANE: tenor sax remainder unknown March 13, 1951
8. TAB SMITH Top 'n' Bottom 2:47 (Tab Smith, Embassy Music, BMI) From the album Top 'n' Bottom (Delmark 499)
TAB SMITH: alto sax CHARLIE WRIGHT, ROBERT DARBY: tenor or baritone sax LAVERN DILLON: piano LLOYD ANDERSON: bass WALTER JOHNSON: drums January 24, 1954
9. PAUL BASCOMB Pink Cadillac 3:13 (Paul Bascomb, Cherio Corp., BMI) From the album Bad Bascomb (Delmark 431)
PAUL BASCOMB: tenor sax EDDIE LEWIS: trumpet FRANK PORTER, TOMMY WATERS: alto sax HAROLD WALLACE: baritone sax DUKE JORDAN: piano JAMES MCCRARY: bass GEORGE DEHART: drums March 3, 1952
10. ARNETT COBB Top Flight 2:52 (Arnett Cobb, Bess Music Co., BMI) From the album Arnett Blows For 1300 (Delmark 471)
ARNETT COBB: tenor sax DAVID PAGE: trumpet AL KING: trombone GEORGE RHODES: piano WALTER BUCHANAN: bass GEORGE JONES: drums May 13, 1947
11. SIR CHARLES THOMPSON Benson Alley 3:07 (Sir Charles Thompson) From the album Takin’ Off (Delmark 450)
SIR CHARLES THOMPSON: piano JOE NEWMAN, TAFT JORDAN: trumpet H.B. MITCHELL: trombone PETE BROWN: alto sax BOB DORSEY: tenor sax TATE HOUSTON: baritone sax HANK MORTON: guitar JOHN SIMMONS: bass SHADOW WILSON: drums December 29, 1947
12. CAB CALLOWAY Shotgun Boogie 2:47 (Ernest Ford, Century Songs, BMI) From the album Big Band Jazz, Tulsa To Harlem (Delmark 439)
CAB CALLOWAY: vocal probably DOC CHEATHAM, SHAD COLLINS, PAUL WEBSTER, JONAH JONES: trumpet KEG JOHNSON, ED BURKE, CHESTER BURRILL: trombone EDDIE BAREFIELD, HILTON JEFFERSON: alto sax IKE QUEBEC, SAM "THE MAN" TAYLOR (solo): tenor sax GENE MIKELL: baritone sax DAVE DIVERA: piano JOHN SMITH: guitar MILT HINTON: bass PANAMA FRANCIS: drums December 1950
Celebrating the legacy of Delmark:
Delmark Records, 50 Years Of Jazz And Blues • JAZZ (904) 2 CD set featuring
Coleman Hawkins, Franz Jackson, Chicago Underground, Archie Shepp,
Jimmy Forrest, Francine Griffin...
Delmark Records, 50 Years Of Jazz And Blues • BLUES (905) 2 CD set featuring
Junior Wells, Magic Sam, Robert Ward, J.B. Hutto, Big Joe Williams,
Jimmy Burns, Big Time Sarah, Karen Carroll...
Delmark Records, 50 Years Of Jazz And Blues • Boxed Set (050) contains 904, 905 and bonus DVD
Other albums in the Delmark 50th Anniversary Collection are:
West Side Chicago Blues (906) with Magic Sam, Otis Rush, Luther Allison,
Jimmy Dawkins, Johnny B. Moore, Tail Dragger...
Blues From Up The Country (907) with Robert Nighthawk, Big Joe Williams, Blind
Willie McTell, Jimmy Rogers, Champion Jack Dupree...
Masters Of Boogie Piano (908) with Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis, Pete
Johnson, Roosevelt Sykes, Speckled Red...
Bop Lives! (910) with Bud Powell, Coleman Hawkins with Dizzy Gillespie, Sir
Charles Thompson with Charlie Parker, Cecil Payne...
Chicago's Avant Today! (911) with Chicago Underground, Ken Vandermark,
Kahil El’Zabar’s Ritual Trio, Ernest Dawkins’ New Horizons Ensemble...
Album Production: Robert G. Koester and Steve Wagner
Photo: Frank Driggs Collection
Design: Al Brandtner
Call or write for a free catalog of jazz and blues:
Delmark Records • 1-800-684-3480 • 4121 N. Rockwell, Chicago, IL 60618 www.delmark.com
CP 2003 Delmark Records